Hands in the hair is only one cause of this condition. It is a common problem with tightly coiled hair, but it is a problem that can be reduced. The knots are mostly found towards the end of the hair shaft. Here are a few tips on how to deal with them:
- Protective styles help reduce the knots
- Keep your hands out because over-manipulation can cause the knots
- Moisturize your hair daily. Dry hair is more prone to knot formation
- Keep your hair conditioned and detangled
- Protect your hair at night by wearing a satin or silk scarf/bonnet
- If you do run across a knot simply cut it out
I am currently dealing with the knots know do to my laziness in care. I went through the whole "search and destroy" and nearly went crazy!! Now I am following the steps above and I have seen a decrease in formation. The main goal is to just take the necessary steps to care for your hair in order to keep it happy and healthy!